Sunday, December 8, 2013


Totally haven’t updated this bad boy in a while, my apologies.  I think the best way to address this gap in information is to quickly sum up a few big things.
Myself and 44 other Peace Corps trainees landed in Entebbe Airport early morning Nov 14 after 30+ hours of transit. I was a bit nervous about the people that would be joining me in this adventure but I did not need to fear.  There are so awesome people in this group and no two people are the same.  We’re all just a bunch of super cool nerds, with the best of intentions.  I’m glad to have such a great support system building here because I know I’ll be missing all of you over there. Also, 2 people have left already : /

For the first few weeks we stayed at an organic farm/hostel called ‘Kulika’ where we went through long days of training. 











For the past week (and into next week) we are staying at a teachers college about an hour outside of Kampala (the capital).

Ruth & I


Here we are in ‘teacher boot camp’ where I have been teaching at a local primary school (elementary school). Last week I taught a few lessons to a 4th grade class.  They went very well, if I do say so myself.  This week I will be teaching middle school aged students.  Normally I’d be super pumped about this but my lessons are so obscure and not math related, so I’m a bit nervous.  For example tmrw I’ll be teaching a 40 minute lesson about the 2 types of magnets… without actual magnets.  Wish me luck. 

But less about me, let’s talk about where I am right now!


              The number of times I’ve said to myself, “I’m in Africa/Uganda right now” must be in the thousands.  I cannot believe I am lucky enough to be here.  I wish that everyone could had this opportunity to be in such a beautiful and welcoming country.  It’s so lusciously green!

The Crested Crane (bird in the middle of the Ugandan flag)

Lake Victoria

 

Kampala is a super cool city as well. Peace Corps Headquarter there is gorgeous.  We ate thanksgiving chicken there, because turkeys are too expensive.

Looking out at one of the 7 hills in Kampala from Peace Corps Headquarter

The local people here are so kind.  I’ve meet numerous people who have invited me to join them in a game of net ball (basketball without dribbling, I’m actually not horrible at it), into their homes, or open up a conversation.  ALSO, their skin is so beautifully dark, and their teeth are SO white!  I cannot speak highly enough toward the people of Uganda.

Unfortunately, they all suffer from EXTREME poverty (living on less than $1.50 a day) due mainly to the lack of jobs in country.  Something like 80% of the population is under the age of 30 so the job market is beyond competitive even if they do obtain a degree, which doesn’t happen a lot.  HIV/AIDS is very prevalent, around 7% of Ugandans have this disease. 

So since there is no guarantee of a job once a degree is obtained many students drop out. This is where I come in.  Millions of dollars are pumped into Peace Corps Uganda for Health, Education, and agriculture (respectively highest to lowest percentage).  As an education volunteer I will help to “promote a safe, healthier, and more sustainable future”.  Think: Give a man a fish he can eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he can eat for a lifetime.  I’m not in this third world country hoping to change it after my 27 months, I’ll (hopefully) be teaching, inspiring, and supporting future leaders, teachers, and positive role models for Uganda.

So, okay Rach, teachers do that everywhere, what else.  I’ll actually be a part of the first group of volunteers to begin the ‘Primary Literacy Project’ in Uganda.  This program focuses on literacy (in English) through all content knowledge.  For example throughout my math lessons last week I had my 60+ students (yes there are 60-100 students in a class) pronouncing, spelling, syllabicating, writing and reading ‘vocab’ words. Our group is a model for potential implementation in other countries around the world.

Fun Fact:  I now hand wash all my clothing, then hang them to dry.  While at Kulika we were taught proper technique and one of the Ugandans helped me out… her name was Ann (shout out to Gram!). Perfect example: this morning I woke up, went for a run then washed some of my clothes. BUT now (midafternoon) it’s about to STORM so I just ran down to my clothes to bring them inside.  Laundry day takes on a whole different meaning now.

What else:  Everybody knows I love to wear dresses and skirts so I’m fitting in well here.  The dress is very conservative: skirts/dresses below the knee, women don’t wear pants.  Super cool with me!

Also I’m pretty tan!!! Think of my next time you put a coat over your sweater, then put on a hat and gloves on ; )

Yup, this happened!!!

I have every intention of updating this a lot more and I look forward to your comments!
Miss & love you all xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment